SUMMARY OF THE ROLE
We are seeking a Project Co-ordinator to join our specialist business support team. This role would appeal to someone motivated by the challenge of supporting the commercial development of new disruptive products and services from initial conception through to market. You will be part of a wider team that offer expert advice, mentoring, workshops and practical tools to foster and stimulate innovation and growth.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual with some experience in project/product management, and an interest in working with a wide variety of technology sectors and markets. You will predominantly support technology development projects in partnership with the University of Sussex, overseeing the full project lifecycle and working closely with academic staff to understand the opportunity and potential commercial value in taking their technology to market.
You’ll support projects from an early ideas stage, identifying the right market for the technology, and throughout the full project lifecycle acting as a liaison between Sussex Innovation, the academic client, and the University’s support team. You will also support with insight and market research skills to guide project direction and future business model development so experience in these areas would be an advantage.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Working closely with academics from the university to understand the market opportunity and potential positioning for a new product or service.
- Project planning and resourcing – developing a clear plan and timeline for projects and producing proposal documents to convey the opportunity for university funding decisions.
- Updating and reporting on project progress, ensuring project elements are on track, running to schedule using Asana project management software.
- Liaising with the wider Sussex Innovation support team to provide specific support resource for projects.
- Overseeing and supporting junior team members to deliver individual research projects.
- Training junior team members in key skills and research database resources.
- Development of expertise in the use of platforms for market insight, such as Beauhurst and Frost & Sullivan.
Desired capabilities include:
- An interest in start-ups and new technologies.
- Analytical mind and curiosity about new, innovative products and services.
- Adaptable and able to think on your feet.
- Experience in customer insight and market research.
- Experience or keen interest in agile project management/working with agile teams.
- Diligent with strong organisational skills and great attention to detail.
- Great interpersonal skills, and the ability to help develop others’ skills and work closely with our wider team members to deliver projects. A team player.
- An interest in lean start-up and agile methodologies and new product development.
- Experience conducting desk-based research and customer interviews.
- Experience writing basic project plans and proposals.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience of project management software use.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about working with new technologies, curious in identifying valuable new opportunities within a diverse range of markets, helping to guide them towards full commercialisation. We are looking for someone who also wants to engage with the wider Sussex Innovation community of high-growth innovative businesses, looking to expand their experience and skillsets and bring their energy and enthusiasm to the team.
WHAT WE OFFER:
A great working environment with an organisation that values our teams’ abilities, voices and unique differences. We have an inclusive and open culture driven by our values to support, educate and develop our people – embracing and prioritising diversity of talent, creative thinking and employee wellbeing.
We offer a salary of £25,000-£28,000p.a., depending on experience. We also offer a competitive package of benefits, including flexible working options, generous holidays increasing with service, private health care, life assurance, staff discounts to any of the available on-site services such as Sussex Sport. University campus facilities also include an Ofsted-rated ‘Outstanding’ nursery, Little Pioneers, which is directly opposite the building.
Location: You will be based at our main Innovation Centre site on the University of Sussex campus (close to Brighton).
Equal opportunities: Sussex Innovation is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive equal consideration for employment irrespective of race, origin, colour, disability, age, religion or belief, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy or marital status. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Please note that you will be required to demonstrate your right to work in the UK.
Please apply for the role as soon as possible, your application will be considered immediately. No agencies please. Please email Peter Lane, Head of University Services, enclosing your cv and an accompanying explanation of why you would suit this role and what personal qualities and experience you would bring to Sussex Innovation.
Deadline for applications: Friday 16th June 2023