SUMMARY OF THE ROLE
Do you want to be a part of something bigger than yourself? Do you want to help innovative businesses and start-ups launch their projects to market or grow their existing businesses sustainably and profitably? If so, then this position at Sussex Innovation is for you!
We are seeking an experienced researcher to join our Programmes team. The role involves conducting market research and providing insights to help innovative businesses, start-ups, and university spinouts succeed. Key responsibilities include undertaking market research, delivering unique insights through interviews and surveys, analysing data, and helping clients apply research to their business ideas.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
This role would appeal to a motivated researcher with a keen interest in working with innovative businesses, start-ups, and university spinouts. You will be responsible for conducting market research and providing insights to help our clients and members to succeed. You will be part of the specialised team who offer advice, mentoring, workshops, and practical tools to foster that growth. The ideal candidate should possess creativity, analytical skills, numeracy, interpersonal skills, and the ability to work independently with multiple deadlines.
This is an excellent opportunity for a market intelligence professional with experience of conducting customer insight and market research to work with our senior team to deliver our service. You will work alongside our team to package, promote, scope and propose your services to our members and clients. We help innovative entrepreneurs and established businesses to answer questions like:
- What strategy and tactics can be used to attract first customers and build growth?
- What brand identity will best attract first customers and build growth?
- Which target market or industry most needs, wants and can afford to pay?
- Who is the existing competition and how do they position themselves?
- How does the proposed target industry/market currently solve the problem?
- What problem do their products/services solve and how deeply is it felt by the proposed target industry or market?
- How much will customers pay to solve the problem and how are their current solutions delivered?
- What channels can we use to best reach the target market or industry?
Specific responsibilities include:
- Undertaking market research into specific industries, collating data from the internet and our online resources (e.g., Frost & Sullivan, Beauhurst).
- Delivering unique insight using depth interviews or surveys and analyse data for members to better understand their company, the position it holds in the market and how to improve that position.
- Analysing, understanding and translating insights, trends and facts from the media, journals, official publications, reports and others to deliver value to our clients or members.
- Helping clients interpret and apply your research to their business ideas.
Essential capabilities include:
- An ability to think creatively to recruit participants who fit the customer segmentation of an early-stage business.
- Experience and skill to analyse and interpret data and write a briefing paper or report.
- Experience of completing research and/or data analysis projects to deadline with limited supervision.
- Confidence to work and engage with innovative companies of different sizes and needs.
- An analytical mind and curiosity about innovative products and services.
- Ability to sift through large amounts of information to find what is relevant.
- High level of numeracy and ability to spot trends in data.
- Good interpersonal skills, and the ability to manage, develop others’ skills and work closely with our team members to deliver some projects.
- A strong organiser that can work independently to meet multiple, often competing deadlines.
Desirable capabilities include:
- Experience of conducting desk-based and internet research to answer specific questions, digging out hard to find data by thinking laterally about the subject.
- Market research experience, including conducting telephone and in-depth interviews.
- A multi-tasker with high attention to detail.
- Previous work experience in an office environment.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Positive and flexible attitude.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills.
WHAT WE OFFER:
A great working environment with an organisation that values our teams’ abilities, voices and unique differences. We have an inclusive and open culture driven by our values to support, educate and develop our people – embracing and prioritising diversity of talent, creative thinking and employee wellbeing.
We offer a salary of £30,000-£32,000p.a., depending on experience. We also offer a competitive package of benefits, including flexible working options, generous holidays increasing with service, private health care, life assurance, staff discounts to any of the available on-site services such as Sussex Sport. University campus facilities also include an Ofsted-rated ‘Outstanding’ nursery, Little Pioneers, which is directly opposite the building.
Location: You will be based at our main Innovation Centre site on the University of Sussex campus (close to Brighton), with opportunities to work remotely. You may sometimes be required to work from our sister site in Croydon, across the road from East Croydon station.
Equal opportunities: Sussex Innovation is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive equal consideration for employment irrespective of race, origin, colour, disability, age, religion or belief, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy or marital status. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Please note that you will be required to demonstrate your right to work in the UK.
We invite you to send your CV, and a cover letter demonstrating how you meet the person specification criteria – including examples of relevant skills, abilities, experience and knowledge which will enable you to carry out the job effectively. These may be gained from your life and work experience (paid or unpaid), education, training or hobbies/interests.
Please include “Market research and insight coordinator application” with your name on the email subject to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for applications: Friday, 16th June 2023