SUMMARY OF THE ROLE
As our team continues to grow, a new role has been created within our Finance and Systems team. Reporting to the Head of Finance and Systems, the Bookkeeper & Payroll Administrator will support with business accounting activities for Sussex Innovation and its community of start-ups, SMEs, students and academics from our headquarters at the University of Sussex.
The role will include raising, sending and paying invoices, reconciling company accounts, processing payroll and chasing late payments. You will assist with administration tasks and be on hand to answer any bookkeeping queries raised by staff or external clients, work closely with clients to ensure that deliverables are accurate and timely, and ensure that month end procedures are kept up-to-date.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
You will have exemplary attention to detail and customer service focus, as well as an aptitude for adopting new processes and technology. You will be a team player, able to take the initiative and respond well to change.
Specific duties include:
- Bookkeeping: creating and entering journals; bank and other reconciliations; entering supplier invoices; month end procedures
- Sales and purchase ledger management: raising invoices; direct debit collections; payment runs; credit control
- Running payrolls for both Sussex Innovation and its clients
- VAT returns for clients
- Company secretarial services (e.g. confirmation statements)
- Working on management accounts for both Sussex Innovation and its clients
- Administration of Accounts inbox and acting as first point of contact for client queries
- Recording and reconciling fixed assets
- Ad hoc company administration
Essential capabilities include:
- Bookkeeping and payroll experience
- Good working knowledge of Xero, Sage 50 and Sage payroll
Desired capabilities include:
- Part / qualified accounting or accounts technician qualifications (support will be offered for continuing study)
- Experience of working with multiple clients and managing priorities and deadlines
WHAT WE OFFER:
A great working environment with an organisation that values our teams’ abilities, voices and unique differences. We have an inclusive and open culture driven by our values to support, educate and develop our people – embracing and prioritising diversity of talent, creative thinking and employee wellbeing.
A competitive salary and a fantastic opportunity to progress your career in accounting within a friendly and supportive company culture. We also offer a competitive package of benefits, including flexible working options, generous holidays increasing with service, private health care, life assurance, staff discounts to any of the available on-site services such as Sussex Sport. University campus facilities also include an Ofsted-rated ‘Outstanding’ nursery, Little Pioneers, which is directly opposite the building.
Location: Based at the University of Sussex (close to Brighton), we also have a site in East Croydon, opposite the rail station. Successful candidates must be willing to work across our other sites when required.
Equal opportunities: Sussex Innovation is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive equal consideration for employment irrespective of race, origin, colour, disability, age, religion or belief, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy or marital status. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Please note that you will be required to demonstrate your right to work in the UK.
To apply, please send your cover letter and CV to our Finance Manager, Georgia Ungoed.
Deadline for applications: 5pm, Friday 21st July 2023